This blog post is on how to make purple potato gnocchi. I have harvested some purple vitelotte potatoes in the garden last autumn. I have tried baking, slicing, and boiling these potatoes and so far the best way to eat these potatoes is making them into gnocchi. Here are some tips on growing this variety of purple vitelotte potatoes. It is possible to buy this variety of potatoes during winter time from Natoora.
Gnocchi is an Italian carb-based primo (primary) dish. It is easy to make at home. I have previously tried to make gnocchi but it ended up splitting while cooking instead. For a long time, I have never attempted to make gnocchi till now. These potatoes are quite waxy and aren’t crumbly in nature. Therefore it makes a good potato to make gnocchi. Do feel free to try other types of potatoes.
I use some corn starch to bind the gnocchi together. Serve this gnocchi with some freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano (parmesan) cheese and some extra virgin olive oil it’s good to eat. Do add some fresh basil leaves and chopped fresh tomato but that is optional.
The secret of making gnocchi in my opinion is getting the mixture right then it won’t split. Boiling the potatoes just right so that it is not too mushy and soft also helps. The gnocchi dough mixture must resemble a dough mixture and sticks together easily. It’s should be too soft, lumpy, or crumbly. Once the dough is made then it is cook quickly again in boiling water and that’s it. Some use a fork to make an indentation in the gnocchi but it is not necessary. Serve the gnocchi when it warm with some salad and bread.
Purple potato Gnocchi
- potato masher
- 300 grams purple Vitelotte potato
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp corn starch
For serving/ garnish
- 1-2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 stalks fresh basil leaves optional
- a handful cherry tomatoes (about 100 grams) optional
Make the gnocchi
- Boil the potatoes with skin on till they are cook. This will take about 20 minutes. Then let it to cool and peel the skin away. Mash it with potato masher. Add salt and the corn starch till it binds. Shape into gnocchiby rolling into long roll then cut into bite size cubes. Once it's ready boil the gnocchi till it is cook. It is cook when the gnocchi starts to float to the surface. Drain.
- Add some parmesan cheese and olive oil. Serve with some chopped basil leaves and tomatoes if using them.