Here is a simple and easy recipe on how to cook Roasted Brussel sprout Asian style. This recipe is inspired by my old friend who is in Singapore. Now with globalization, one can almost buy anything from aboard.
Brussel sprout is very good for one as it contains nutrients that are good for you. It is not that popular winter greens in many due to its bitter taste. This bitter taste occurs when the compound called glucosinolates metabolizes in the body. A tip that can help to tone down the bitterness is to blanch the brussel sprout in hot water with a bit of salt for 2 minutes then plunge them in cold water before cooking. By plunging in cold water immediately after cooking helps prevent overcooking the greens and retain their color. It is not necessary to do it if one not too bothered about the brussel sprout bitter taste.
In this recipe, I have taken inspiration from that and created a more Asian fusion style. By adding some flavors like garlic and ginger counteract the bitter taste in Brussel sprout. This taken with inspiration from using balsamic vinegar as it’s complex taste is great with brussel sprout. I use Habhal’s sweet soy sauce another new discovery I found lately online at Tradewinds. If it is not available just use dark soy sauce and brown sugar or Kecap Manis. These ingredients are available in most supermarkets here in the UK. The combination of balsamic vinegar and sweet dark soy sauce will help to create a caramelized flavor to the roasted Brussel sprout.
This recipe is vegan and gluten free.
Thank you for dropping by and reading. Do have a look at my other veggie-based post for example Pak choi and water bamboo stir fry.
Recipe for 3-4 people as a side dish.
Roasted Brussel sprout Asian Style
Roasted Brussel Spout Asian style
- conventional oven
- Ovenproof oven dish
- 500 grams Brussel sprout
- 1/2 tsp rapeeed or corn oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp sweet dark soy sauce or Kecap manis
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp grated fresh garlic
- 1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
Preparing the Brussel sprout and the sauce
- Preheat the oven to about 180 degrees Celcius.First of all, prepare the brussel sprout before cooking. Wash, trim away the dead and dried leaves, and then cut them into half. If blanching the brussel sprout do this step before the next step which is adding the oil. Make sure the Brussel sprouts are well drained before adding the oil. Once it's prepared add half a teaspoon of rapeseed or corn oil. In a small bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients together. They the sweet dark soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, ginger, garlic, and sesame oil.
Roasting the Brussel Sprout
- In an ovenproof dish add the brussel sprout and roast it for about 10 minutes. after that take it out of the oven and mix it. This is that the sprouts are well mixed all round and not burn. Then add the sauce mix well and roast it for another 10-15 minutes. the duration depends on how soft, crunchy, and roasted one likes.