This is a blog post on vegan noodle soup recipe at home. I don’t follow a strict vegan diet but just would eat less meat sometimes. Recently, I have been making veggie broth cubes that are easily freezable when made in a big batch. So I am now writing a recipe on make use of these stock cubes that are kept in the freezer. These stock cubes that I made are also good for non-vegan dishes like the classic wonton soup. This is a simple to make one-pot cook dish (except for the pot/ bowl to boil/ cook the noodles in) that makes a quick lunch or supper.
Vegan noodle soup recipe
Most of the ingredients are stored in cupboard ingredients with exception of a few fresh greens like red chilies, coriander, pak choi (or any leafy greens), and spring onions. I use dehydrated soy mince for this recipe but feel free to omit it if can’t find the ingredient. Another good alternative would be frozen vegan mince or hard tofu which is available in most supermarkets. I also use walnuts to add extra protein to this dish. I do use seaweed, straw mushroom, dried shitake mushrooms, and dried lily flowers. All are available at Asian grocers online or in-store. If you can’t find some of the ingredients just omit them but try to find dried shiitake mushrooms as they impart such great umami flavors.
It is possible to prepare ahead the vegan soup broth overnight or frozen. Then all it needs is to add noodles and fresh vegetables and condiments. The portions of this dish depending on how many ingredients one likes in the soup. If it’s watery fewer ingredients and if it’s thick and substantial then more ingredients.
Vegan noodle soup
- 2 cooking pot one for boiling the noodles or just use a bowl and hot water to cook the noodles
- 100-200 grams dried white flat rice noodles (shanghai style) portion depends how much you like
- 3 vegan stock cubes
Vegan broth ingredients
- 100 grams dried soy mince
- 50 grams dried shitake mushrooms (soak in water)
- 50 grams dried seaweed
- 20-30 grams dried lily flower (optional)
- 1 can straw mushroom
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 fresh red chili
- 2 stalks spring onions
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1-2 stalks fresh leafy greens (lettuce, pak choi or chinese leaf)
- some salt or soy sauce to taste
Cooking the noodles
- In a pot boil the noodles till it's cooked then drain. Set aside.
Prepare the condiments
- Wash and slice the chili, coriander, and spring onions. Also the leafy greens.
Make the broth
- Dehydrate the dried ingredients by soaking the shitake mushrooms, dried lily flower, and seaweed in water till soften. Then slice them into bite-size slices. Slice the straw mushrooms into half.In a pot put the stock cubes and defrost the vegan stock cubes. Then add the soy mic and chop walnuts. Add the shitake mushroom, seaweed, and straw mushrooms. Cook till the broth is boiling. Add the pak choi last so that it doesn’t get overcooked. Taste with some salt or soy sauce if necessary.