This is a blog post on homemade Ice kacang. Ice kacang is a Malay name that means Ice nuts. Yes, it does consist of nuts but it does also consist of lots of other types of goodies. It is serve on a bed of shave ice. Shave ice is a bit like granita that has been popular in recent years. So it is possible to buy a machine to make shaved ice. If not just use an ordinary blender. If it blends ice cubes to a snow-ice texture it is good enough. This dessert is great to make on a nice hot day in the summer.
Homemade ice kacang
I use cendol in this recipe. Here is a link on how to make cendol at home. Apart from that most of the ingredients are ready-made and need not much effort to put together. To make homemade rose syrup is to get hold of some rose essence and add some red coloring to it. It is possible to buy ready-made rose syrup from Asian grocers as well. Cooking tapioca balls may cause some issues but the trick to let it cook properly is to let it cool down completely. This before taking it off the stove and let it cool down completely but running it under the tap.
Palm sugar is used to give it a nice coconut butty sugar flavor. I use Biona organic plam sugar which is available on Ocado but feel free to use gula Melaka or other brands. Some recipes use grass jelly as I didn’t have it in my cupboards at the time of making this dessert but feel free to use it. Also, some recipes use coconut jelly and ice cream.
As there is a lot of elements in this recipe there are bound to be quite a bit leftovers of some of the ingredients. Mainly are the creamed sweetcorn and condensed milk. I just use these ingredients for other recipes.
Malaysian Ice kacang
- Ice cube maker
- Pot to boil the ingredients
- 6-8 tbso ready-made cendol
- 1/2 can creamed sweetcorn
- 1/2-1 cup ready cooked small tapioca balls
- 4 tbsp cooked red beans
- 2 cups shaved ice Have ice cubes ready
- 100 mls rose syrup (unsweetened) if use sweetened rose syrup reduce the amount of palm sugar and condensed milk
- 4 tbsp palm sugar dissolved in 50 ml water
- 100 mls condensed milk
- 4 tbsp ice cream optional
Prepare the ingredients
- prepare the ingredients first before making the shaved ice as that will be the last step. boil the red beans, tapioca balls (boil and let it cool down so that balls get completely cook thru and run in cold water), and make the cendol.
Put the Ice Kacang together
- Make the shaved ice by blending the ice cubes. Divide all the ingredients by four. In a bowl add the red beans and tapioca balls. Then add the shaved ice and the rest of the ingredients except the rose syrup, condensed milk, and palm sugar. Add those at the end. Serve cool with a scoop of ice cream (optional)