This is a blog post on sweet potato leaves with crab meat cococnut. Since last year I have been growing sweet potato leaves. Here is the blog post on how to grow and harvest sweet potato leaves. I live in the UK so the only way to eat fresh sweet potato leaves is to grow them at home. Yes, it is possible to buy them in Asian grocers but if one lives miles away from one growing is the best. It is also not easily available in Asian grocers as well.
Sweet potato leaves is so good for you as it’s high in vitamins. Here is more information about it.
How to cook it
I first cook this recipe actually while I was at a campsite. As it mainly uses canned and dried ingredients except for the sweet potato leaves. The crab meat is canned. Yes, it is possible to use fresh crab meat as well. Also, it is possible to substitute it with soy mince and soy sauce in order to make it a vegan dish.
This dish doesn’t take long to cook as it is a stir fry dish. Sweet potato leaves wilt very fast as well. I add some sweet peppers so add some interesting texture to the dish. But do omit it if there is none. I also use coconut milk powder as it helps to thicken up the sauce instead of making it more liquid. If there is no coconut milk powder just use canned or fresh coconut milk.
this dish is great to serve with some boiled rice. Here are some tips on cooking rice using a rice cooker. As that is what I normally use to cook rice. As it is a well-balanced dish there is no need to add another dish. Not unless one wants to.
Thank you for reading and dropping by.
Sweet potato leaves with coconut crabmeat recipe
Sweet potato with coconut crabmeat stir fry
- frying pan or wok
- 150-200 grams sweet potato leaves
- 1 tin crabmeat or fresh drained about 105 grams
- 3 tbsp coconut milk powder
- 4-5 small peppers (optional)
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 small brown onion
- 1 tsp rapeseed or cooking oil
- 1 tsp fish sauce (to taste)
Prepare the stir fry ingredients
- Chopped the garlic and the brown onion. Wash the sweet potato leaves and cut or tear them into 2-3 pieces. Slice the peppers.
Cooking the stir fry
- In a frying pan, heat up the rapeseed oil over medium heat. When it is hot add the onion then two minutes later when the onion starts to cook add the garlic. Then add the sweet potato leaves, peppers, and crab meat. Give it stir till it starts to cook then add the coconut milk and fish sauce to taste. Serve warm with boiled rice